grateful tree

Thanksgiving is such a wonderful holiday and a great preparation for the rest of the Holiday season. We are really focusing this season on being more grateful and in turn teaching our children to do the same. We can all get carried away with all the things we want to acquire and accomplish each Holiday season, but this simple project is helping us keep it all in check.

Each day we ask our families what we’re all grateful for and put them up on our grateful tree. The boys responses are pretty predictable, but nonetheless the expression of gratitude is an important habit to form for any age!

Here’s how you can make your own grateful tree:

Gratitude Tree

We copied off our gratitude leaves printable (download below) onto white cardstock. Cut each each leaf out, being as precise or unprecise as you wish (we chose the latter.) Keep a stack of leaves nearby and let the bigger kids fill their own leaves out, and ask the tinier ones what they’d like to write! By the end of this month you’ll have a tree full of wonderful blessings and hopefully full hearts all around!

Special thank you to West Elm for the gorgeous Hive vase!

Also thank you to all who entered the Target gift card giveaway, congratulations to our randomly selected winner, Lauren B!

9 Comments

• Crystalyn
    November 8, 2012 at 7:20 am

I have been meaning to start some sort of Thanksgiving tradition, and I think this is the one! Your leaves are super cute. I was trying to explain gratefulness to my three year old last night, and I think this will help. Thanks.

• Becca :: Making Room in Sicily
    November 8, 2012 at 7:40 am

Wow, this is a beautiful project… but would it survive in my house with a toddler? I guess you guys have toddlers and it’s survived in yours so far!

makingroomwithus.blogspot.it

• Victoria / Justice Pirate
    November 8, 2012 at 9:24 am

This is truly a very cute idea!!!

• Sarabell
    November 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

I love this idea! We can do one every day in November!

• Natassja
    November 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

What a cute & modern twist to this project! Love it! I just learned about this blog & love it already! I’ll be sharing a link for this on my own blog, proseandcompany.blogspot.com
    Thanks for sharing!

• Small Fry
      November 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Thanks for the link love!

• 25 quieter pursuits for busy kids
    September 23, 2014 at 5:30 pm

[…] people. 21. Work on their fairy garden. 22. Build Paris. 23. Do a little cloud gazing. 24. Hang a tag on the grateful tree. 25. Make some milk carton lanterns (we can use the battery-op mini-Christmas lights to light them […]

• […] people. 46. Work on their fairy garden. 47. Build Paris. 48. Do a little cloud gazing. 49. Hang a tag on the grateful tree. 50. Make some milk carton lanterns (we can use the battery-op mini-Christmas lights to light them […]

• gratitude tree | Small Fry
    November 3, 2015 at 6:28 am

[…] did a similar DIY a few years ago but it wasn’t the easiest to execute so we wanted to re-do it in a more perfected way! […]