5 minute, 5 step, $5 leggings.

Nicole’s nine month old is quite possibly the chunkiest baby we know. Nothing compliments those curves like a pair of form fitting leggings! Nicole has perfected making these leggings for Sunny in about 5 minutes for just the cost of one body-con skirt from Forever 21!
leggings1

All you need is an old stretchy pencil skirt, a pair of scissors and a sewing machine and you’re good to go! Keep reading for the project step-by-step.

leggings2

1. Using a pair of tight pajama pants , or your favorite baby leggings as a guide, lay them on top with both sets of waistbands lined up to one another (as pictured.) Nicole uses those cheap Forever 21 body-con skirts. On this page alone, we found 40+ options of this skirt for less than $7 each, in tribal, stripes, and every color solid you can think of!

2. If you have  a fabric pencil trace around the existing leggings onto the F21 skirt. If you don’t have pencil, just eyeball it like Nicole does! Trace with about a 1/4 inch seam allowance around the leggings. (Meaning a little extra space for when you sew the leggings together.)

3. Now that you have cut out your leggings you will have two pieces, both with a hemmed top (from the existing skirt’s waistband. Take the two pieces and flip them around so the side of the fabric you want to show at the end of the project is now facing inward.

4. Using straight pins, pin up the sides of the legs to keep it in place while you sew.

5. Sew up both the inner and outer thighs and you’re done! Since you used the existing waistband and the bottom hem of the skirt, you are off the hook for any hem-job. If you do need to shorten the leggings, most cotton or jersey fabric is fine to leave a raw edge, or you can cuff them under and hem them as well!

Comments

1. Kami:
    on January 15, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

This is such a good idea! I love it.

2. on January 15, 2013 at 7:31 am said:

What?! Where has this tutorial been! I have been hand painting mine. This is so quick and less messy! I covet Nichole’s style! And creativity! Thanks for sharing

3. on January 15, 2013 at 8:43 am said:

omg I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEE this!!!! wow. amazing.

Question: If you were to buy a large skirt, is it enough material to make two?

My son is actually a skinny little thing – 10.5 months, 18 lbs and 28″ but I LOVE the look of leggings.

on January 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm said:

I bet so! There’s definitely quite a bit left over!

4. on January 15, 2013 at 8:52 am said:

great idea! thank you for sharing. i don’t sew at all…pretty sure my machine hates me…but i think i can manage these!

5. on January 15, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

amazing! I knew I could make easy baby leggings.. but from old skirts is genius. I’ve been wondering where shes gettin all these sweet leggings. Cant wait to whip some up! A serious thank you for sharing!!

6. on January 15, 2013 at 9:07 am said:

Love this! Now if only I had a sewing machine…….

7. on January 15, 2013 at 9:15 am said:

Oh and here are a few more options:
    this lace body con skirt would be cute for a little girl: http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/Clothes/Skirts/entity/pc/2114/c/0/sc/2633/226605.uts?sortByColumnName=SortByArrival

There are more at charlotte russe – they range from $14-$20 though. They often have really great in store sales though. Oh and I know H&M has tons of body con skirts!

on January 15, 2013 at 9:10 pm said:

Thanks for these!!

8. on January 15, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

Now the question is… can I buy a maxi skirt and make these for myself!? ;) Love this idea!

on January 15, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

Great idea!!

9. Jessica:
    on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 am said:

Do you follow the length of the leggings when cutting or cut straight through to the bottom of the hemmed skirt?

on January 15, 2013 at 9:09 pm said:

Follow the length of you baby’s legs, but if you use a mini skirt it’s usually pretty close!

10. Sara:
    on January 15, 2013 at 11:28 am said:

Awesome! Thanks. Did she make the beanies from the remnants? Love a tutorial for those too.

11. on January 15, 2013 at 11:49 am said:

so cute!! can’t wait to do this!!

12. on January 15, 2013 at 12:42 pm said:

cant wait to try these babies!! darling!

13. on January 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm said:

hooooraaaay! i’ve been waiting for this post! boy clothes stink sometimes… and i just adore these leggings! our first boy is headed his way in less than 2 months- time to whip out the sewing machine! :)

14. Kendra:
    on January 15, 2013 at 9:47 pm said:

Oh my. I love this! Do you know what size skirt she used? I was wondering for the length.

15. on January 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm said:

genius!! doing this asap….

16. kara jo haught:
    on January 17, 2013 at 7:34 am said:

today’s “to-do”….. baby leggies!!

17. Natasha McGee:
    on January 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm said:

Omgosh I am so not good at sewing but I will try this out!thanks so much I love your page;)

18. on January 20, 2013 at 9:19 am said:

these are too cute. perfect for my baby girl, amelia. can’t wait to try them!

on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

We’d love to see them when you do!

19. Maura:
    on January 20, 2013 at 12:50 pm said:

How do you do the hem on the bottom? I understand the waistband, legs, thighs, but I am not understanding the bottom holes? Thanks

on January 21, 2013 at 11:34 am said:

You don’t need to hem it if it’s jersey or cotton, but if you use a mini skirt you can use the existing bottom hem, otherwise fold an inch or less under and hem it that way! Good luck!

20. on January 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm said:

Love this tutorial: I just made two from one medium sized skirt. However the stretchy knit is REALLY hard to sew with!!! My end product looks a little bunched up in many places.. I haven’t been able to try it on my son so hopefully it evens out. Did you have this problem too?

• G:
      on February 2, 2013 at 1:00 am said:

You can also stitch the sillouette of the leggings onto the skirt, using the stretch stitch on your machine, and then cut it out if for the fabrics that don’t want to hold their shape next to a cut edge.

21. Pingback: Vamos pôr mãos à obra? (4) ← Short story of life and style...

22. Pingback: Je m´appelle Manuel…Chef Manuel… ← Short story of life and style...

23. on February 6, 2013 at 5:49 am said:

This is so awesome, I will send this tutorial to my daughter for her baby. And I will make one legging myself for my grandson. ♥

24. Pingback: The Good Life Blog | Mini Skirt –> Baby Pants

25. Pingback: There's Spit Up In My Hair: Baby Legging Love | Baby Apparel

26. Pingback: TECH / CHEVRONS PLUS | Westover Manor

27. Pingback: upcycled baby leggings. | Puj

28. Shannon:
    on March 2, 2013 at 8:59 am said:

Curious. I am terrible at sewing, so not having to make a hem is awesome! But do you think I would be able to use the no sew hem fusible tape instead of sewing the sides? Wondering if anyone has tried that and if it has been ok?

29. Pingback: Monday’s Around the Web: March 11 | Naturally Family

30. Pingback: 12 Depressing (But Useful) DIY Baby Projects | CfpDir.com

31. Pingback: 12 Depressing (But Useful) DIY Baby Projects | YO Status ->YO Status ->

32. Pingback: 12 Depressing (But Useful) DIY Baby Projects | シ最愛遲到.!

33. Pingback: 12 Depressing (But Useful) DIY Baby Projects - EyeOnCelebs

34. Pingback: DIY: Upcycling Mommy’s Clothes | Momista Beginnings

35. Pingback: Iron Man Leggings are fit for a Secret Invasion! | Fashion

36. Pingback: A Fine Foundation Leggings | Fashion

37. Pingback: 5 minute, 5 step, $5 leggings. | Fashion

38. Pingback: wardrobe hacks | Small Fry

39. Pingback: easy patched leggings | Small Fry

40. on October 4, 2013 at 3:45 pm said:

I leave a response when I especially enjoy a post on a site or if I
    have something to add to the conversation. Usually it is caused by the fire communicated in the post I browsed.
    And after this post 5 minute, 5 step, $5 leggings.
    | Small Fry. I was excited enough to drop a thought ;
    ) I do have a few questions for you if it’s okay.
    Could it be only me or does it give the impression like a few of the comments appear like they are left by
    brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are
    posting at additional online social sites, I’d like to follow you.
    Could you list the complete urls of your community sites like your
    Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

41. on October 17, 2013 at 11:24 am said:

I really like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

42. Pingback: i know what i’m doing this weekend | becks

43. Pingback: Blogs We Love: Small Fry « Blogs We Love « offTRACT

44. Pingback: 40+ DIY Baby Shower Gift Ideas - The Crafted Sparrow

45. Pingback: Friday Links | Sugar and Slugs

46. on April 12, 2014 at 4:18 am said:

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to
    keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos,
    I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent
    job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!

47. on May 2, 2014 at 6:24 pm said:

I got this web page from my pal who told me about this site and now this time I am browsing
    this web page and reading very informative posts at this time.

48. on July 1, 2014 at 3:09 am said:

Heyya i’m for thee first time here. I found this board
    and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give sometrhing back and help others llike you helpd me.