eggs in a zap.

We were talking earlier about how lazy each of our mornings usually are. We very slowly work up to starting the day with our kids, and unless we have something pressing scheduled, here’s the agenda: the boys come in each of our respective beds for a little morning snuggle. Eventually they start asking for a beverage of some sort, so we stumble out to our kitchens to start up breakfast. In the next couple hours eventually we will give them a bath and then maybe an hour more they’re finally dressed. Lazy mornings are the best, aren’t they? Maybe a slight exaggeration, but lovely nonetheless. With the two oldest Small Fry boys starting preschool, schedules are getting a little bit more structured and as much as we love those slow-starting days, here’s a quick tip for the mornings you just have to get out the door.

scrambled eggs, easy, quick breakfast, getting kids to eat

Microwaved Eggs! It sounds crazy, but they fluffy as can be and delicious, and for two eggs it only takes one minute and fifteen seconds! Give it a try and let us know how you like it!

What are some of your favorite time savers for those hectic mornings? We’d love to hear!

Comments

1. Amy Scarborough:
    on January 18, 2013 at 7:55 am said:

Never heard anyone microwave eggs except my dad! Glad someone else uses this trick! Go gurt has been a go to breakfast for my son recently and also mini eggo waffles!!! I wish I had the kids energy as soon as I wake up!

2. RJ:
    on January 18, 2013 at 8:16 am said:

I microwave eggs for my son every morning. I usually add a tsp of omega oil, a big scoop of sour cream, and maybe some grated parmesan. It ends up puffy like a frittata. Also the key with microwaving (in my experience) is that you need to turn the power down to 60%. Takes a little longer (2 min, 30 sec for my 1-egg omelette) but it’s much more tender.

on January 21, 2013 at 11:38 am said:

Yum! We love all these additions!

3. on January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am said:

Ha! This brings back so many memories! I wanted to do this every morning as a little girl. My mom would let me, but then I cooked them too long a few times- oops! They totally blew up in the microwave! Ha!

4. Hilary:
    on January 18, 2013 at 8:36 am said:

We call these egg circles…. I add a splash of water and stir in some Colby jack or mozzarella cheese. If you use the right bowl and do one egg, it’s the perfect size for on top of a piece of toast!

5. Erika:
    on January 18, 2013 at 8:45 am said:

Used to do that when I only had one babe. He liked his sweet so I’d add a little syrup when id take it our of the microwave…helped cool it down faster too.

6. melissa:
    on January 18, 2013 at 8:56 am said:

oatmeal is another fantastic microwavable breakfast! half cup of oatmeal, put some water in enough to make sure all the oats are wet, and put them in for a minute and 15 seconds. done and done:).

7. mara:
    on January 18, 2013 at 9:28 am said:

i’ve been doing microwave eggs for forever! my mom did them growing up. i didn’t realize no one else knew about them til i started doing them for breakfast at work. and people were amazed haha! they’re so quick and easy.

8. on January 18, 2013 at 1:26 pm said:

you guys…it takes like 3 minutes to scramble eggs haha…

on January 21, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Haha, so true! But sometimes that extra minute is helpful! xo

9. on January 18, 2013 at 4:24 pm said:

Jarvis loves scrambled eggs! Will have to try this trick. I am lucky since my Bub is only 13 months and I am a SAHM, our mornings are filled with lazy cuddles and kisses. After that Jarvis is on the go for the rest of the day. Dreading the day that I have to return to work and I don’t have the time to enjoy mornings.

10. on January 18, 2013 at 5:07 pm said:

My mom used to microwave eggs all the time growing up. I think she still does. I still prefer them cooked regularly as we don’t even own a microwave (by choice!).

11. Karissa:
    on January 19, 2013 at 8:40 am said:

i had never heard of this before! was i living in a cave? i did it for my girls this morning and they loved them! Thanks for the tip!

on January 21, 2013 at 11:37 am said:

Awesome, glad you like it!

12. on January 19, 2013 at 10:49 am said:

I don’t nuke hardly a thing these days, but when I was a teenager I used to put an egg in a mug and heat it up for about 30 seconds in the microwave and eat a piece of bread and the egg in the mug before going to school.

on January 21, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

We’re on the same page, I don’t even own a microwave, but it’s definitely nice for those in a hurry days! xo Emily

13. Megan B:
    on January 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm said:

I used to make these all the time with a little cheese mixed in. The only bad part is the explosion that can occur if you’re not keeping an eye on them. I still have some dried eggs on my kitchen ceiling from a microwaving incident!

on January 21, 2013 at 11:36 am said:

Hahah! We’ll have to try with cheese, sounds delish!

14. es:
    on January 21, 2013 at 9:30 pm said:

I am so going to have to give this a try in the mornings. My husband nukes a can of baked beans for his lunch everyday Eeeky!

15. Christina:
    on January 27, 2013 at 9:00 pm said:

I had to come comment because tonight my 2yr old randomly asked for eggs so my husband microwaved her some (which we always cook eggs on the stove)…he then said I bet we could get away with microwaving eggs for them in the mornings! Ha! I immediately thought of this post and smiled to myself :)

on January 28, 2013 at 1:11 pm said:

yay! love that!

16. Jess:
    on January 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm said:

My Mom used to do this all. the. time! Ha! They are surprisingly good- and better than Frosted Flakes!

17. on March 7, 2013 at 8:48 pm said:

I am SO glad to hear that others do the L.O.N.G. lazy mornings as well! Most people in my life don’t get them and are annoyed by them, but that is just how we function best! But of course with my 4yo approaching kindergarten, the laid back morning will be a thing of the past. :(

on March 8, 2013 at 10:13 am said: