We’ve got another super easy 5 minute project perfect for the baby in your life! Nicole made these for us when we had our first babies and she has amassed quite the collection for her boys ever since. It is one of our most requested DIYs so we’re happy to bring you the embarassingly easy steps today! Next time you’re ready to throw out an old t-shirt, upcycle it into a beanie instead!
All you need is a t-shirt and a sewing machine and you’re good to go!
1. You do not need a hemmed edge when using jersey or cotton, but for a more finished look, cut out 13 inches x 15 inches vertically out of the chest of a t-shirt, keeping the bottom hem of the t-shirt intact.
2. Turn the fabric inside out and fold in half width wise. Your piece should be doubled up and measure 6.5 x 15 inches now.
3. Take the edge of the two sides and sew them together. The smaller the seam allowance the less bulk your hat will have at the end. If you want to sew it gradually smaller it will make for a less bulky knot as well, just trim the excess hem before you turn it right side out.
4. Turn the fabric right side out and you should have a long skinny tube.
5. Take the raw edged side of the fabric (leave the hemmed edge at the bottom) a couple inches down and tie it in a knot, like you would a balloon and bam! You’re done.
More 5 minute projects for $10 or less: