an adoption story: the Mcmurtrey family

adoptionweekadoption, family, kids, loveMy husband and I have been married for 10 years and tried for that whole time to have kids. We did several rounds of Invitro and just about every surgery and procedure out there for fertility treatment. Egg donation, you name it. After it all failed, we looked into adoption. Little did we know, at the time we started filling out the paperwork, our soon to be little boy was fighting for his life on the abortion table in Atlanta, GA. His birth mom felt pressured to get an abortion from the birth father. She was on the table getting the ultrasound just prior to the abortion when the tech accidentally disclosed the gender of the baby. The Birth Mother asked what the tech said, and the tech denied saying anything and tried to back peddle what she had done. The Birth Mother realized she was far enough along to know the gender. She told the tech she didn’t want to go through with the abortion, and stood up and left the clinic that day. She had to face the Birth Father in the parking lot and she told him she would figure out another alternative as he didn’t want to have the financial burden. She was all alone. No family, no boyfriend and her friends had deserted her. Her friends pushed for the abortion, her parents were unaware she was even pregnant. Through a series of miracles, she chose adoption and chose us. We chose him. He’s perfect and healthy! With the most blue eyes you’ve ever seen, and the funnest personality. I’m amazed at her courage to stand up that day. She’s my hero. He’s our angel and we are in heaven! Life is so good and we feel so blessed. He’s 14 months old now and not a day goes by that I don’t pinch myself! I’m so grateful she chose life that day.

Xoxo,
Rachel McMurtrey

Comments

1. on April 18, 2013 at 6:26 am said:

What an amazing story. What a brave birth mother! I am constantly amazed at adoption stories and the strength it takes to give your baby up for adoption to possibly never know or see him/her again. As a mother, I cannot even begin to know this kind of sacrifice and pain. I am grateful for women like her to be so selfless and courageous, and for a couple like you and your husband to choose adoption in midst of your infertility trials.

2. on April 18, 2013 at 9:55 am said:

That made me teary eyed! So sweet. He’s so lucky to have parents that recognize and appreciate what a treasure he is – no matter how they became his parents.

3. allie:
    on April 18, 2013 at 10:08 am said:

wow! tears in my eyes! what a powerful story!

4. Katie:
    on April 18, 2013 at 2:58 pm said:

This is why pregnancy centers are so important. The chances of of a woman having an abortion after seeing the baby on that ultrasound dramatically decreases! It’s really amazing and what a courageous and selfless act. Such a neat story!

5. Erin:
    on April 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm said:

All of these stories have brought tears to my eyes. Someday when I’m tired of making my own babies (pregnancy=not much fun over here), we hope to adopt also. I love how all of these were children of young girls who could have easily aborted their babies and chose not to. I just love it. I had to share this post on my facebook page as a witness to everyone out there who is pro-abortion. Every baby is a miracle. I just love this. Thank you so much!!

on April 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm said:

we agree! thank you so much for sharing.
      xo.

6. Paige:
    on April 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm said:

Praise God!

7. Marcie:
    on April 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

Thanks so much for sharing!!! Miracles happen everyday and I love hearing about when they do. We need more of this in the world! That mother is a hero, and so are you and your husband. 🙂

8. on April 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm said:

Agh. This is amazing! AMAZING! I love birth mothers. I am in awe of my daughter’s every day and I love to see my daughter with her. It is absolutely the most precious gift. Your story is the essence of adoption….thank you for sharing it.

9. on April 20, 2013 at 10:23 am said:

Such a cool story! Love you, Rachel!