Fryday: Nicole

As you can see in three of the four following pictures, we are sort of junk food junkies at our house. All four of us love our desserts, our junk foods, our sodas. Dash wakes up in the morning and asks for snacks instead of breakfast, and Sunny runs towards me yelling “juice!” when I crack open my can of Fresca. See what I mean? Really bad habits forming here, but I can’t seem to get them excited about fruits and vegetables. The best I can get them to do is peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread rather that white.

nic-fryday

As parents, Dane and I are well aware this is simply a result of our poor eating habits. The kids are just doing as we do. But, even as we change our ways and focus on healthier eating, they are asking for chips and dip. I’m certain most of you have success stories, healthy tips, and tricks to help your kids fall in love with veggies? Please share! Thanks in advance, and of course, Happy FRYday!

–Nicole

Comments

1. on June 14, 2013 at 8:19 am said:

Kids are the most adventurous when they are hungry, first choice for “snack” can always be veggies or fruit. Keep them (or buy them) pre-cut in your fridge so they’re quick. Also don’t overlook the power of dip… my son will eat almost anything with ketchup on it. I think the most important thing is for them to see you eating and enjoying veggies. It has to sink in eventually, right?

2. Melissa:
    on June 14, 2013 at 8:54 am said:

Thank you for sharing! We are experiencing the same problems in our home. The one thing my son loves are the Ella’s Kitchen fruit and vegetable pouches. It’s all organic fruit and vegetables and the interesting combinations always end up tasting somewhat sweet leaving my son asking for more. It helps me sleep at night knowing that he all he wants is goldfish for dinner but I can get him to eat an Ella’s or two with meals.

3. on June 14, 2013 at 9:23 am said:

Hi, I don’t have kids next (in the next week or two I will though!) but from watching my sister raise my niece on really good eating habits, I think you just need to show them that you can enjoy it and then they will too. Also smoothies are an easy way to sneak in fruit and vegetables (spinach – you can’t taste it, and you can call it a ‘monster smoothie’). Or make purees – fruit purees, hummus, guacamole, dips, etc so they can eat that with chips or vegetables. Also I love making date-nut balls – they taste really sweet and you can put a little dark choc in them to make them taste like candy. Just crush some nuts in food processor and then mix with pureed dates in food processor and squash together by hand – like these http://livinpaleocuisine.com/2012/09/07/simple-date-balls/

4. P:
    on June 14, 2013 at 9:57 am said:

My baby is the same!!! I have tried everything, she eats only apples from fruits and potatoes from vegetables 😛 so a lot as you see. But I still have hope 😀

5. on June 14, 2013 at 10:12 am said:

OMG! I feel you. My little LOVES to eat the Ella or Plum squeezy pouches…that is where he gets 90% of his fruits and veggies. They are a life saver.

6. on June 14, 2013 at 10:14 am said:

My 3.5 year old is like this. I just offer the healthy foods she will eat (eggs, corn, apples, etc) as often as possible. And luckily, I have a 2 month old, so I’m able to sneak a little breast milk in her chocolate milk for some added nutrients. You do what you gotta do, right? 😉

7. christian:
    on June 14, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Ohhh! Thanks For Sharing, glad to See we Are Not The Only Ones! My Husband And i Eat Junk And I Am Inlove With Sweets, so We have Bad habits Too! I Know So Many people Who Eat Well And So Do Their Kids…opps! My Boys Do The Same As yours! My Oldest LoveS Sipping My Diet coke And my Little one Loves Ice Cream 🙂

Sorry About The Crazy Typing, my Phone Is caping everything!

Christian

8. Mel:
    on June 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm said:

I bought my own squeeze pouch maker ($20 at Target) to make squeeze pouches. I use all sorts of pureed fruits and yogurt as the base and then mix in pureed veggies and flaxseed. My 3 year old has NO idea what is actually in the pouch, all she can taste is the fruit! My 10 month old twins LOVE them too. I still provide veggies at every meal, whether she actually eats them… well that is another story!

9. Tallia:
    on June 14, 2013 at 1:12 pm said:

Hi Nicole!
    I could almost write a book about kids and eating but I will try to be brief.
    But there are two things I have found that work.
    The first is to stop snacking. Or at least limit snacking. Don’t let them graze all day because then they aren’t hungry at meals. We do a snack between lunch and dinner. ( did you ever see that French kids eat everything book or whatever it was, they talk a lot about it and it makes a lot of sense). I used to let them eat all the day long but now they eat way more at meals and a lot more fruits and veggies. Also if its possible I try to make snack time kind of like a meal where they sit down, obviously this doesn’t always happen and sometimes they snack on the go or whatever but if we are home they eat at the table and that’s it.
    The second thing i have been trying out is to serve vegetables at the very beginning of the meal when they are the hungriest. They eat way more brocolli when it is the only thing on their plate. And the. After a little while I bring out the rest of the meal (Harrison would eat only meat if I let him, I have to keep it hidden)
    I really think the most important thing about kids and eating is that they learn to enjoy it and appreciate it. I think it’s important that babies learn to like the taste of real vegetables and fruits too and not always just get the ” squeeze baby foods” as Alice calls them. Although we used those plenty whe we were on the go.
    Okay I could go on and on but this is way too long and convoluted already.
    Hope this helps.
    Oh and trader joes has so many good dried fruits with out added sugar and also really good trail mixes and nuts. It is our go to snack store and I don’t know how we ever survived without it.

10. Tallia:
    on June 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm said:

Wow. Embarrassingly long comment.

11. on June 14, 2013 at 8:23 pm said:

Hmmm…my toddler and I just shared a bunch of Doritos on the couch today O_o
    I do, though, make a green smoothie sweetened with frozen strawberries every morning, and my toddler slurps it up! He has no idea yet to be scared of green things 🙂
    When we really got serious about trying to eat better, I read Disease-Proof Your Child, written by a pediatrician named Joel Fuhrman. He has story after story of kids who learn to love good food, including his own kids! His big piece of advice is to just not have it around if it’s not good…kids won’t starve themselves–eventually, they’ll eat the healthy things you keep offering! It takes a lot of patience and hard work, though…and I have an awfully hard time giving up my sweets 😀

12. erin:
    on June 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm said:

if you stop buying the junk food, they won’t be able to eat it. the number one thing is just not having it around, it’s less tempting for everyone.

while my kids don’t have perfect eating habits (who does, really) they ask for whole foods (fruit, veg, cheese, meat) more than anything else because that’s what we’ve got on hand. taking them to the farmers market (and the grocery store, too) is a great way to get them interested in healthy foods. our market this week had little personal sized cantaloupes and the kids thought they were cute so we got them and are eating them up!

13. on June 15, 2013 at 4:04 am said:

I just pray our LIttle Miss is going to be as voracious a veggie lover as I was when I was a child!!

xoxo PARIS BEE kids blog

14. Tallia:
    on June 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm said:

Hey I am back because I just thought of one more thing. I let Alice pick one dinner a week and I make exactly what she chooses. The rules are there has to be one vegetable and one fruit and then almost anything else. Sometimes I let her look through recipe books to think of things. She loves it and one we ate brocolli, apples and bran muffins for dinner.

15. Sierra:
    on June 17, 2013 at 11:23 am said:

Im commenting late so i’m not even sure if you will see this… but I think there is a a balance you have to try to maintain. (like just about everything else in life) I try to eat healthy as much as possible so I can eat junk when I want. I try to exercise and be active so it balances out the crap I eat. I would be seriously depressed if I could’t eat anything that was “bad” for me. I strongly believe that food is one of the greatest joys in life for many different reasons. Anyway, I was lucky enough to get one child who will eat seriously ANYTHING and he really asks for fruit and veggies for snacks. But I have a daughter who would never choose a vegetable of her own free will and who asks for snacks every half hour of every day so I have had to learn how to get her to eat healthy. One of the biggest things that have worked: practicing tough love. When she asks for a snack 30 min. after breakfast, I say no. I’ll wait until we are right in-between breakfast and lunch then give her a few choices of healthy snacks. If she says no to all of them then obviously she isn’t very hungry right? Usually she realizes I’m serious and picks one though. At lunch and dinner, I give her servings of the healthiest things we are eating and tell her as soon as she is done with those, she can have a roll or noodles or whatever else she would usually just grab first and fill up on. We have dessert more than anyone I know so I can usually use that as an incentive as well. If she doesn’t finish the dinner I serve up, she doesn’t get dessert. It works WAY better than the “you can’t get down from the table until your plate is empty” rule. This way it makes her feel like she is making the choice to eat a good meal so she can enjoy a treat. One more thing I’m sure you have tried is making healthy food seem fun or look fun. I look things up online all the time to make food fun for my kids. Well I just realized how much I typed and bet I could go on all day about this so I’ll wrap it up. Hope it helps a little:)

16. Anne:
    on June 17, 2013 at 9:15 pm said:

I’m glad you are bringing this up. Healthy, whole, real foods is a passion of mine – especially when it comes to kids. Too many kids today are eating WAY too much sugar. The solution isn’t just getting in fruits in veggies into their diet and hoping that makes up for all the junk they have eaten.

The solution is healing their body and getting it to a place where it wants and craves good, real food. You must start by getting your kids off processed food and get them back on traditional real foods – good quality fats, foods full of vitamins and minerals and properly prepared grains. Two of my favorite websites for learning more about this are: thehealthyhomeeconomist.com and westonaprice.org.

As a parent I find that you have to be dedicated and willing to learn yourself and then teach your kids. You won’t regret it!

17. Rachel Hagen:
    on June 17, 2013 at 9:53 pm said:

Oh we struggle with this too! (who doesn’t?) I don’t know how you stay so thin! I love sweets too much and have no self control, so I have to have it out of my house. Which of course means buying a treat whenever we’re out, but at least it’s not in our home and the kids can’t ask for it every hour.
    I think a lot of the mentioned comments are great and have help, but Sam has outgrown the smoothies and doesn’t like them any more.
    One thing that has helped a ton is make a game out of it. Sam is really into super heros and being strong, so whenever he eats a bite of something, he flexes his muscles and we make a huge deal about it. He eats up the attention. Dinner is a big struggle, for him to even eat two bites. So whenever he eats a bite and flexes either Mick or I will dance or get blown away with his strength. The kids crack up, dinner is fun, and Sam eats his chicken and veggies. 🙂

18. Kristen H:
    on June 19, 2013 at 11:31 am said:

Just joining in now. First of all, I applaud you for wanting better eating habits for you and your kids! I’m not sure what the other comments have said, but i like to take a 6 count muffin tin and cut up fruits & vegetables for my 3 year old. Carrots, strawberries, raw broccoli, apples, etc. Its fun for her to see the colors and she gets to pick in what order she eats them (we call it her snack tray). I also give her Juice Plus gummies, which is the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. They even have a children’s health study where you can get it for free. You can learn about Juice Plus online – or I can send you free samples of the kids gummies to try for your own kids (I’m a distributor myself and know the importance of healthy eating. Beacuse, seriously…healthy eating = healthy kids = happy parents). Either way, cheers to good heath and healthy eating habits! juiceplus.com