Manic Morning

By Nicole.

Hi. I’m that mom that stops for donuts for breakfast on our way to school. Every morning. We don’t feel that bad about it either ;). Actually, I have a lot of mom guilt when it comes to the way I feed my kids. I’m recently divorced and and find eating out so much easier than cooking a meal for one adult (myself) and two kiddos who more than likely won’t eat it. So, eating out seems like the best option. Our trouble is we eat out the fast food way. Even for breakfast.At Home Breakfast

That’s where Made To Matter, Handpicked by Target comes in. I’ve spent the last week making an effort to eat AT HOME. But not just leftover donuts from the breakfast the day prior, but actually making something substantial. I don’t think I’ll EVER be that mom that makes pancakes and eggs and bacon and fresh squeezed OJ every morning, but that’s okay, because I’ve found some super quick, easy, and better-for-us answers.Screen shot 2014-06-30 at 5.49.33 PM6-30-14

My kids love oatmeal. But instant oatmeal is packed with sugars. I took a leap of faith and cooked this the Simply Balanced Multi-grain Organic Oatmeal, drizzled with Simply Balanced Maple Syrup and garnished with some sliced fruit on top. At first Dash was apprehensive, who could blame him. Where are the donuts?Manic MorningBut after a moment, they GOBBLED it up. I like to mix the fruit selections up so it’s exciting to them each day. Strawberries, peaches, pears, berries, apples and bananas. Our morning felt smooth and healthy. We made it to our classes on time and the kids seemed all around happier being filled with something heartier than donuts.

Manic Morning This breakfast worked for us in so many ways! It is instant for the days I’m in a rush, it is still sweet so it appeals to my boys, and I can keep it fresh and exciting by the toppings we choose. But, ultimately, I know the ingredients are good and healthy and my boys enjoy it.

Manic Morning

Now that I’m cooking more at home, I’d love to know what heart breakfasts you’ve found work for your family? We all need a tried and true arsenal!

This post is sponsored by TargetThe Made To Matter line has been handpicked by Target to bring you brands that make things better for your you, your family, and the place we all call home.

Comments

1. Linlee:
    on July 29, 2014 at 9:31 am said:

2. Jessica:
    on July 29, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

I don’t have any problem feeding my kids at home. The biggest annoyance for me is that our breakfasts are big and involved and they ALWAYS leave my kitchen a huge mess and then I spend the next hour cleaning it. Especially because I have 3 little kids who aren’t very polite eaters. Somedays I wish I could just swing by a donut shop and leave my clean kitchen clean, but my kids wouldn’t function well without a healthy breakfast.

We eat whole grain toaster waffles (with peanut butter or almond butter for added protein) and honey for breakfast, with blueberries and bananas. Oatmeal and fruit, like you mentioned. Whole grain cereal with sliced bananas, green smoothies and peanut butter toast in the summer, or all of my kids LOVE a big bowl of Greek yogurt for breakfast. I love chiboni nonfat for me, but always make sure my kids yogurt is full fat. I like the Greek gods brand best.

As for myself, I cook 2 eggs and a piece of toast nearly every day.

McDonald’s egg white delight, though, is seriously delicious. Best of luck to you, nicole!

3. elizabeth:
    on July 29, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

I am not a single mom, but still struggle with all meals so I look forward to getting some ideas. Also just wanted to say I have been thinking of you, Nicole. I know you are doing a great job.

4. on July 29, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes, and fruit (this week it’s been peaches). That’s been breakfast around here all summer.

5. Shardae:
    on July 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm said:

My little Gabriel goes through phases of what he likes. We’ve cycled through yogurt with fresh berries and rice chex. His current favorite is morning star veggie sausage patties. That’s his staple and I add more or two other things to his plate; fruit or toast.

6. on October 24, 2014 at 11:46 pm said:

Looking for healthy breakfast cereals? Discover the wonders of Ezekiel Cereal; its quick, easy and healthy. Read and be completely informed.Nicole I feel your pain!! I’m a single mom too so sometimes the nights are long and hard and I just want to strap the kids in the car and get them some doughnut holes to get through the day. Thanks for the inspiration–I’ll definitely be checking out Target.