Did you guys know that the average age of a boy (or girl’s) first exposure to inappropriate images or video online is now EIGHT!? Nearly always accidental, we’ve experienced this sad event even in the own walls of Small Fry. So have friends, and family, and each time it’s the same — awful. It springs up all kinds of tears and questions that are of course so important to talk about, but my goal with today’s post is to help that conversation be on OUR terms and timeline.
So, here’s FIVE easy ways you can filter out those inappropriate images and videos, you don’t need to be computer wiz or anything!
- You can filter any computer or device that uses your internet right at the router all at one time! There are lots of programs, free and for a fee, and I have tried a few! This is not sponsored, but Disney Circle still stands as my favorite. It is easiest to use and has had no glitches in the last year I’ve had it! It has limited WEBSITES pretty perfectly. They sent them to us to try awhile ago and I am so glad to have it. It is so user friendly, if you can download an app onto your phone you can install the Circle. (I’ve also tried Open DNS, K9 and a few others, Circle beats them all, its that tiny little white square, super sleek and minimal!)
- PHONES now have parental settings built right in! For instance on the iPhone you can create restrictions that only you can change with your own password (different than the one you use to unlock the phone.) I wrote out all the steps right here! If you have Android here are those steps! Both super easy and they filter websites, age limits on apps and more!
- Just because you have a filter on your computers and phones there are still a few holes. You still need to set filters within sites that you use everyday, your search engine of choice especially. So if you use GOOGLE, here is how you’ll do it. This will make sure if your kids are searching for something that adult content won’t show up as an option in either the website list or image search.
- STEP ONE:
- STEP TWO:
4. YOUTUBE. YouTube is all our kids’ favorite, but I am sure you’ve all come across something you wish you hadn’t on YouTube.
(Kinder egg toy reviews? JK) So I always suggest downloading the YouTube Kids app in place of the standard one, which filters for you. But, if you use YouTube on your computer you still need to change the settings! So, here’s picture steps for filtering YouTube on your computer and phone!
5. Streaming Services. If you use Netflix or something similar you can create profiles for your kids so adult content doesn’t even show up in their searches. Just log in on your account on a computer and create a profile for them! Then when you give them the remote you can be sure they’re on their profile to begin with.
I could go on all day, but here are 5 quick ones that will give you some peace of mind! I am no expert and I am sure there are loads of great ideas that I haven’t even thought of, so if you have things that have worked for your family, let us know in the comments!